Friday, September 16, 2005

Minor victories

The past few days were very good for minor victories. By that I mean the sort of thing that bugs you for a few days or a few weeks or in one case here, a few months; the sort of niggling 'what was the name of the person in that film' sort of thing.

The first minor victory occurred while watching Nighty Night tother night. The Welsh one was eating some crisps and said something along the lines of 'I love frazzles I do.' Reason I was happy is that I was trying to remember what the crispy bacon flavour corn snack was called. Ha! Now I do. Thank you, Julia Davies! And thank you me for watching it!

The second and more satisfying victory was when a newsreader including the word 'hyperbole' in his piece. Ha! I thought; I was sure that was the word that I forgot about six months or so ago to describe excessive exaggeration which is not meant to be taken literally e.g. 'i'm starving to death'. I immediately leapt up and grabbed my dic...

Sorry, distracted by a wasp there for a second.

...tionary. And bugger me sideways, it was right there in the dictionary as exactly what I thought it was. I was most pleased. Finally I have closure on this issue which has bugged me for fecking ages; can't remember exactly how long; mayhap six months or so. I was asking my mum if she remembered at all because I was whingeing about this to her way back then.

Anyway, it's such a good word that people should use it more. Although I must admit I rarely do due to lack of opportunity. However, I do think about it every single day now for fear of forgetting it once more and going through another six months of confusion and dribbling. On second thoughts that's got nothing to do with forgetting words...

No comments: